8.01.2005

Summer Rituals

I went to my first county fair of the year and it didn't disappoint, even Jesus was there!
DEMO DERBY BAAABBYYY!!
I had a healthy appetite that fine sunny evening and I ate foods I usually never eat (ya know Fried Foods) I like to eat nutritious foods- I know, I know that doesn't exist at county fairs but I can usually find something (Side story: I got REALLY sick from eating fair food once and it still haunts me to this day) So I had a footlong hotdog, freshly squeezed lemonade, corn on the cob drenched in butta, a few nibbles of onion rings, a couple bites of a vanilla shake/malt, and the ultimate FRIED CHEESE CURDS!!!!! I wanted to check out the Demo Derby- The sign out front even said "DRIVERS WANTED" but my companions said if they couldn't find a seat they would rather not go- Well every bench, seat, slot of grass, patch of mud, cement retaining wall was taken, you could say it was a full arena. Those Republican Redneck Anokans they love this Sh%$# AND SO DO I!! We decided I would meet up with my companions later and I watched one heat of the derby(which seemed endless) I wanted some good photos but there was a fence in the way, so I went to the other side where there was no fence, but the sun was at a horrible angle. Needless to say, I am disappointed with my photos- but you get the idea- The smell of car exhaust waifing over the crowd- the sound of engines revving- watching the firefighters duck behind a retaining wall from flying mud as a car fishtails nearby- the revving of an engine- the crunch of metal- the crack of two cars colliding-the sputter of a dying engine -the revving of a strong engine gaining speed and the roar of the crowd when two cars sandwich a third helpless driver. BOOOMMMMMM a gasket goes sending steam 15 feet into the air. The firefighters quickly grab their fire extinguishers when the cars collide. DEMO DERBIES should be a summer ritual. They are for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com