8.21.2005

Went to See the Ponies

Yes, I went to the race track yesterday- The Horse Race Track- It was a beautiful sunny afternoon- Just a perfect Midwestern sunny day- My dad and brother-in-law invited me to join them on there annual trip to the track (I couldn't go shopping with the "ladies & children") but I much rather hang out with guys anyways- I don't look like your typical tomboy but I "get" guys better than I "get" girls- As you may remember I have stitches on my right foot from my stint with the circus so I used a cane to hobble around the track- I am a complete NOVICE when it comes to betting on horses and my brother-in-law clued me in on how to "get-R-dun" We got to the track at 1:30 just in time to put in our bets for the first race- I didn't bet that race because I was more concerned in getting good photos (ya know for my blog) What I did notice was a interesting crowd- Majority of them were men and the average age fell into two groups the younger crowd of 25 year olds and then the older crowd of 50 year olds- The typical uniform was khaki shorts, tee-shirts or polo shirts, a baseball cap and sunglasses for both age groups- It did cross my mind the next time I am looking for a date- I would come to the track, because there was some good looking ponies- Anyways, we started with some cold beers and the educational course began- It can be very logical or just a wim when it comes to betting on a horse- Do you like the name? Do you stick with the best jockey? Have they ever run at that track? Who is the trainer? Blah Blah blah- Remember I am a novice- So on the third race I bet on a horse- I lost- It is just a gamble- We sat there for a couple of races and decided to move to the shady part of the 2nd floor deck- The best race was when my brother-in-law bet on a horse and while getting out of the gates at the start, the horse lost his jockey (it was disqualified) but that horse was first to cross the finish line- Damn I tried to get a photo but it didn't turn out- I would say the WHOLE day at the track was a bit much- I could go for 7 races, but 10 put me over the limit-I only bet on 3 races and lost all of them- I had my fun now it was time to find some dinner- I did decide that I would make it to the race track at least twice a year- Here in Minnesota it is a seasonal spectator sport- The entrance fee is only $4 and if your a timid gambler you can bet $2 on each race- Your down only $24- But if your hungary that will be extra $$$ but I guess you can bring in your own cooler (I don't know the restriction on what you can bring in) So 5 hours at the track can be a fun filled day of soaking in the sun, fresh air, and relaxing for less than $30 (unless your winning!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com