10.22.2005

I LOVE TRUCKS

I borrowed my father's truck today- God, I miss having a truck. What was I thinking when I bought my car?? Sure, I like my car- 2001 Chevy-power everything, CD player (drives just as well as my friends 2003 Volvo) but I miss driving a truck. My fathers' truck is a 1998 Ford Ranger-No power anything- broken tape deck- But did it feel good driving that around- I think I will trade in my car and get a truck- well, when I pay off my new bed ($Caching, ching$)

Talking about trucks...... I have an old story to share- About 9 years ago, I had borrowed my fathers' truck- At that time he owned a 1992 Ford Ranger (it was very small) He purchased it used at an auto auction- In its former life it was a Napa Auto delivery truck- So it had an usual safety mechanism but did not have the blue baseball hat on top of the cab- When the truck was put into REVERSE gear it would BEEP (Beep....Beep....Beep) until you put it into another gear- Sure it was a joke and at first embarrassing (snicker, snicker) but you'd eventually get used to and forget that everyone in the parking lot was staring at you- So to make a long story shorter- I was living up in Duluth (I totally forgot why I had borrowed it) My bestfriend Gretchen and I went out drinking one wintery night- Because that is what you do when you live in Northern Minnesota during the 10 month winter season- We headed to the Reef Bar- A east end blue collar hot spot and just down the hill from school- Not sure why we ended up there but after our 2 pitchers of beer (probably more) endless games of darts and pool, we were on our way home- I had to drop off my friend and she didn't live to far from the bar- While we were in the bar there was a light precipitation that glazed all the roads with ice- So here I am a little too intoxicated to be driving on ICY roads- If you are familiar with Duluth- You know the city is built on one large hill- So the bar we were at, Yup you guessed it, at the bottom of the hill- My bestfriend lived straight up the street, ontop of that hill- Driving a 1992 Ford Ranger with rear wheel drive and barely any weight in the bed of the truck- You can guess my strategic reasoning's to drive in a zig-zag pattern to the top of the hill (I think, I was really going to my house to borrow my roommate/sister's front wheel drive car) Once I made it to the top of the hill I realized I didn't need to borrow my sister's car anymore, however we were clear on the other side of town- The moon was out and big and round and silver and beautiful- We took a road that is very scenic (almost any road in Duluth is scenic) as we were puttering down the icy scenic road - I decided in an instant that I wanted to stop and gander at the lake and moon- I took a sharp turn into a church parking lot -But you know as well as I drunkenly knew then -While driving on ice NOTHING can be a sharp turn- I tried to break- Yeah right- Brakes don't work well on ice either- I ended up plowing into a snow bank- This small truck was half submerged in waist high compacted snow- Ok, can you foresee the problem I had to face? Me and my drunk bestfriend are giggling so hard because I am an idiot- We quickly snapped out of the silly girl giggles- Our dilemma; I was drunk and shouldn't be driving, anyone could and would have stopped to help us (Minnesota Nice) and we were right infront of a popular bar/restaurant- The Buena Vista (very large windows) I was nervous that someone would see us and call the police to come help us, or better yet some hot macho Northern Exposure guy would come too- We had to act fast- So I put the truck in REVERSE and the beeping began- I opened my drivers door and dangled my left leg out to try to use for leverage (note to self: while intoxicated don't believe you're bionic) My bestfriend Gretchen got out and waded waist deep into the snowbank- The truck is still in REVERSE and the beeping is echoing in the majestic quiet night- With the large, round, silver full moon looming overheard, my bestfriend is pushing with all her might and I am pushing with all my one leg might- BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...BEEP... It felt like hours- But probably in less than 10 minutes we were out of the snowbank and maneuvering the truck so I could put it into drive- I got the truck into drive and we were on our way- With a loud shout of "Hurray" or some sort of exuberance- I drunkenly said "Yeah, I did that like Fred Flinstone- Cool" My bestfriend Gretchen turned to me with her jeans soaked to her waist and probably frozen to the bone, said "NO YOU IDIOT, didn't you see ME waist deep in the snowbank pushing the truck out BY MYSELF!!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com