2.11.2006

Music Ya Love at a Discount

Has anyone seen this movie- I rented it through Netflix over a year ago- I heard Jay had done the score and I was very intrigued- The movie was good- definitely my kind of movie- Dreery people in a dreeery town, trying Not to let their dreery lives get them down- Very interesting characters (sigh..Ryan Gosling) The setting was a small western town with many ghosts- I love these types of towns- Some people think about going on a Caribbean cruise for vacation, I think about jumping in my car with my camera and driving west- Jay is a master at putting music to broken dreams, people, places- I have been a faithful follower since 2000- And actually I was pretty late to the show- When Uncle Tupelo broke up-majority of their fans took to following one or the other- (and if you don't know who Uncle Tupelo is-- they were a small legendary rock group from the early 90's who have influenced more musicians and music styles then you think- Uncle Tupelo had two dominant songwriters and subsequently two growing egos- The band broke up and now we are blessed with two fantastic bands: Son Volt and Wilco) A very small group of fans followed both songwriters- I was one who followed Jeff Tweedy- He was a lot more up beat and I had no stomach for Jay's music- I always said "I would rather shoot myself in the foot then listen to Son Volt" I remember the day when I put a Son Volt cassette into my car's tape deck and drove to work listening to Trace- I had somehow crossed over- And I never looked back- My mother calls this kind of music Honky Tonk- I don't think she has ever heard real Honky Tonk because she would know this just good RockNrolL with a dash of Honky Tonk- The soundtrack is a must have if you are a Jay follower- It is on the Bloodshot label with the music from Vic Chesnutt, Freakwater, Wylie and the Wild West, Blood Oranges, Ryan Adams, Speedy West and Jimmie Bryant, Neko Case, Jimmie Dale Gilmore and the Flatlanders, Malcolm Holocombe Group, Uncle Tupelo, Pernice Brothers, and Jay Farrar- I got my CD for $5.95 at Cheapo- Score (no pun intended)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com