12.27.2006

Per Reader Request

Music Review
Willie Nelson's Songbird

This is a fantastic album. Yes, only two original songs but I love when popular recording artists/musicians cover other well known, if not classic music- Johnny Cash brought us the American Series with some outstanding recordings- To me covered music is refreshing and allows you to enjoy it all over again as if it was brand new (but some songs should only be heard in the original version: such as Nobody's Fool by Cinderella, yeah I said Cinderella or Fire Woman by The Cult) And if I haven't taken my meds many of the songs on this album can bring me to tears or a full blown blubbering session-

Willie has a unmistakable sound to his voice and in my opinion he could sing anything and it would be awesome- His voice is soothing and comforting- I am a huge fan of his rendition of Songbird, the title track- It is a Fleetwood Mac original which was sung by Christine McVie- I could play this song over and over on repeat- It feels good, like a good whiskey sliding down my throat- Now for track 3, Blue Hotel, what can I say a perfect blend of Ryan Adams and Willie Nelson- That is sweet sweet Gold to my ears-"I've been going from door to door with nothing to sell, wandering like a fool through the halls of the Blue Hotel"- Purely Poetic- Back to Earth "but true love is both a blessing and a curse" describes a broken heart and the soothing melody with the rich sounds of the slide guitar, allows me to cry into your beer with the sympathy of the whole bar allowing me to have that one moment of self pity- I am not a Deadhead (Grateful Dead fan) but his version of Stella Blue is a pleasant surprise for me- I love the ebb and flow throughout the song- With the hard guitar in the beginning you believe your in for a ride- but it doesn't drop in deep to blow you away but soars and glides throughout and allows you to sway back and forth- His version of Leonard Cohen's timeless Hallelujah will withstand the test of time- Willie's voice quivers slightly while he sings the last few syllables of Hallelujah- To me that is a perfect delivery- Almost as if the aging musician is having a one on one with the main man upstairs- Although I would have liked if the backup singers were softer to spotlight Willie's voice- Gram Parsons' original $1000 Wedding is a short song that has a good blend of Willie and Ryan Adams- We Don't Run sounds like a true shake your booty' Willie Nelson classic- For the the final track Amazing Grace, I enjoyed this version- It is somber but not as if you were in a funeral march- It has a nice electric vibe with the organ and hints of Willie's signature guitar pickin' - If your a true Willie fan you won't be disappointed with this album- Enjoy!

There are more than a few reviews out there that have given this album the thumbs down rating- They seem a bit grandiose in their opinions and must have a chip on there shoulders in regards to Ryan Adams and/or Willie or them working together- Some stating Willie would collaborate with ANYONE (in negative) and Ryan Adams is too electric to pull out Willie's true essence- If you are a music lover, I suggest you never base your reason to purchase an album on a music review- There are too many Jack Ass's out there giving reviews :) wink, wink

A BIG thanks to Matty for the CD- without the cd this review would have never been written

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com