4.28.2007

I am not an Ornithologist, but just your basic Birder

I have found a new pastime- but with some research I have found I am not an Ornithologist but your basic Birder (otherwise known as a Bird Watcher)- An Ornithologist studies birds, a Birder just watches them and tries to identify them- I am not sure if the birds have migrated early this year or if I just never noticed them- The leaves just started to pop out this week and I have been watching the new neighbors get settled and find food- I have a row of trees outside my apartment to sort of screen my building from the next building- And the suburban birds love this small grove- And the local squirrels and of course those nasty neighborhood hoodlum felines, that have been casually walking around waiting for a squirrel or bird to fall prey- Now with the leaves filling out the trees it will be more difficult to locate my personal serenader's and then identify them- I am used to the usual suburbia avians; sparrows, finches, robins, and cardinals- but this year I have seen additional avians that I have never seen up close and personal- And with the help of my mother's bird book I have identified a few: Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker, Hermit Thrush, a Purple Finch (who was serenading me well past dark the other night), and this little guy who I am guessing is either a female Ruby-Crowned Kinglet or immature something else- I just don't know what it is- It is the size of a golf ball- And he/she doesn't sit still very long.

If you see me looking out my window don't worry I am just trying to identify my serenader's.


2 Comments:

At May 27, 2007 5:33 PM, Blogger Larry said...

Glad to have you join the ranks of us other basic birdwatchers.

 
At May 27, 2007 9:09 PM, Blogger John L. Trapp said...

Most of us are, Sara, most of us are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com